Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

- Advertisement -

Mom warns others not to leave phone chargers plugged in after fire destroys her home

A mother has warned others not to leave phone chargers plugged in overnight after a fire destroyed their uninsured childhood home.

Donna Symes, 40, from Glasgow was preparing dinner with her husband Mohamed at around 8pm last night when the fire alarm went off in the house.

The singer ran upstairs to find that a fire had broken out in her 13-year-old son Kane’s bedroom and started with a phone charger plugged in next to his bed.

The tragic event eventually destroyed most of the home and sentimental items.

Horrifying footage shows the aftermath of Kane’s bedroom completely destroyed and set on fire

Donna Symes pleaded with people to insure their homes, check their smoke alarms, and check plugs and appliances to make sure they're not overheating

Donna Symes pleaded with people to insure their homes, check their smoke alarms, and check plugs and appliances to make sure they're not overheating

Donna Symes pleaded with people to insure their homes, check their smoke alarms, and check plugs and appliances to make sure they’re not overheating

Ms Symes ran upstairs to find a fire had broken out in her 13-year-old son Kane's bedroom and started with a phone charger plugged in next to his bed

Ms Symes ran upstairs to find a fire had broken out in her 13-year-old son Kane's bedroom and started with a phone charger plugged in next to his bed

Ms Symes ran upstairs to find a fire had broken out in her 13-year-old son Kane’s bedroom and started with a phone charger plugged in next to his bed

Ms. Symes filmed a heartbreaking video as she walked through her blackened house and surveyed the damage.

Today she said, “I have a son with special needs, Kane, and a daughter, Kiera, and a two-year-old daughter named Ayesha. The older two lost so much to the fire – more so, Kane, when the fire started in his room.

“The father of the eldest two passed away 10 years ago and literally all the little keepsakes he had of him are gone. But we are a strong family.

“If I can spread awareness, check your plugs and appliances — not just at night.” Make sure smoke detectors work – they saved our lives’.

She took to Facebook to warn others about the dangers of leaving plugs in while revealing that she has no home contents insurance to cover the cost of damages.

The message read, “So I’m writing this from my hotel room – a fire broke out in Kane’s room just after 8pm tonight.

‘Started with a phone charger behind the bed.

“The three of us were downstairs sorting dinner and the smoke detectors went off.

Our house was literally destroyed. My boy’s room has been destroyed as you can see.

“Literally heartbroken.”

“I don’t want your sympathy, but I do want people to check your smoke alarms, unplug your chargers, make sure they don’t overheat, and the one thing I’ve never had, insure your homes.

‘Take my advice, please.

“Were safe.”

The tragic event ended with the destruction of most of the family's home and sentimental items just before Christmas

The tragic event ended with the destruction of most of the family's home and sentimental items just before Christmas

The tragic event ended with the destruction of most of the family’s home and sentimental items just before Christmas

Hundreds of social media users are shocked by the images.  One bedroom was destroyed by the fire

Hundreds of social media users are shocked by the images.  One bedroom was destroyed by the fire

Hundreds of social media users are shocked by the images. One bedroom was destroyed by the fire

The family is currently staying at a hotel as they try to find somewhere to stay in the run up to Christmas

The family is currently staying at a hotel as they try to find somewhere to stay in the run up to Christmas

The family is currently staying at a hotel as they try to find somewhere to stay in the run up to Christmas

Mrs. Symes said: 'I have a son with special needs, Kane, and a daughter, Kiera, and a two-year-old daughter named Ayesha.  The older two lost so much to the fire - more so Kane, because the fire started in his room'

Ms Symes said: 'I have a son with special needs, Kane, and a daughter, Kiera, and a two-year-old daughter named Ayesha.  The older two lost so much to the fire - more so Kane, because the fire started in his room'

Mrs. Symes said: ‘I have a son with special needs, Kane, and a daughter, Kiera, and a two-year-old daughter named Ayesha. The older two lost so much to the fire – more so Kane, because the fire started in his room’

Horrifying footage shows the aftermath of Kane’s bedroom completely destroyed and set on fire.

Mrs. Symes and her family are currently staying at a hotel as they try to find somewhere to stay in the lead up to Christmas.

Hundreds of social media users are shocked by the images.

Dawn Kemley said, “I’m so sorry, you must all be devastated, but thank God you’re okay. Give me a shout if I can help you with anything.”

Joanne Holland said, “OMG, how scary. I just unplugged all my chargers, and I know it doesn’t seem like comfort, but at least you’re all okay and things can be replaced.”

Stacey Gibby said, “Aw, Donna – God, that’s awful.

“The most important thing is that you are all safe, but it must be so hard and soul-destroying to see what you built for your little family, just to be taken from you.

‘I hope everything is alright.’

Marion Mcgurk said, Aw, honey, I’m so glad you and your family are safe.

“I know how devastating this must be and can’t imagine how you all feel.

“To think that a charger that we all leave plugged in every day can do this.

“Try to stay strong, at least you’re all safe, honey.”

A family friend, Jamie Stevenson, has set up a GoFundMe for the family.

He wrote: ‘Hello, so around 8pm on 24th November a phone charger plugged in behind a bed in my friend’s house caught fire and has resulted in the whole upstairs of the house being destroyed and destroying all the contents of the house due to fire or smoke damage.

“Any help would be greatly appreciated.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.