Prince Harry will not join King Charles and Queen Consort on the balcony of Buckingham Palace for the coronation
It is ‘unlikely’ that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Duke of York will join the King and Queen’s consort on the balcony during the coronation, The Mail on Sunday understands.
Last night, Buckingham Palace confirmed that the newly crowned King and Queen will appear at Buckingham Palace after the ceremony in May.
As with the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee last year, the lineup of Royals alongside them will be limited to working members of the family. That excludes Prince Harry, Meghan and Prince Andrew, who no longer hold official duties.
Prince Andrew stepped down from his official role following allegations of sexual abuse in November 2019. He has always denied the allegations.
Sources have said Prince Harry will not make a public appearance on the balcony when he and wife Meghan attend the coronation in May.
They will be taking a step back from the limelight along with Prince Andrew as non-working royals
Harry and Meghan quit their roles three years ago when they left Britain to start a new life in California.
Earlier this month, Harry released a tell-all book revealing his past and current grievances against his family. In a televised interview to promote his memoir, he declined to confirm whether he would attend the coronation, even if invited.
There are no indications from Buckingham Palace that Harry and Meghan would be barred from attending the event on May 6, which falls on their son Archie’s fourth birthday.
But even if the pair did attend, a senior Royal insider said it would be ‘unlikely’ that they would be included in any major public appearances, including the balcony moment.
Following the release of Prince Harry’s explosive memoir Spare, some royal pundits said it seemed impossible for the couple to attend.
It followed claims by the Duke that his brother had once physically assaulted him and pushed him into a dog bowl, and that he and his wife’s press team had leaked negative stories about them to the British media.
Buckingham Palace has not commented on the allegations.
But contrary to the initial analysis, there are now talks of “peace talks” between the brothers and their father ahead of the coronation which, if all goes well, could pave the way for attending the event itself.
Prince Harry has since demanded an apology from his family for the way they treated Meghan, after claiming in his memoir that they “stereotyped” her because she was an American actress.
It comes after a furious row over whether the Duke of Sussex should have been part of the Buckingham Palace photos during the belated celebration of the Queen’s Platinum Anniversary.
Until shortly before the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee last year, it was unknown whether the Sussexes would step onto the balcony or not.
As with the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee last year, the lineup of Royals alongside the newly crowned King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla will be limited to working members of the family
Queen Elizabeth pictured us laughing with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in 2018
It is unclear whether Prince Harry (center) and Meghan Markle will attend King Charles’s coronation in May
Harry and Meghan moved to the US three years ago around the start of the coronavirus pandemic
When the Queen made her appearance surrounded by her family, they included Prince Charles, Camilla, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, George, Charlotte and Louis.
She greeted the spectators with a smile and looked down at The Mall where tens of thousands had waited hoping to see her.
The Queen watched leisurely on the balcony as the festivities drew to a close, leaning on a cane, now a routine aid after her mobility problems, and acknowledging the crowd with a wave.
The Prince of Wales stood next to the Queen, along with the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Despite not appearing on the balcony, Harry was pictured in royal photos on the occasion.
After the anthem was sung by a chorus of celebrities, including Sir David Jason, Harry Redknapp, Sir Cliff Richard, Sandie Shaw and Felicity Kendal, the Queen again waved to well-wishers and was joined by her great-grandchildren, as Louis waved with both hands.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were conspicuously absent from many of the Jubilee proceedings on the first visit to the UK since moving to the US.
But they did introduce Lilibet to the Queen on her first birthday, which took place while the couple were in the UK.
After it was announced that the couple would not appear on the balcony, friend and supporter Omid Scobie claimed they did not want to be involved.
It came after a sensational statement from the Queen saying the couple – along with Prince Andrew – would not be invited onto the balcony for Trooping the Colour, the spectacular start to her long weekend of commemorations.
After that, the Sussexes released a statement that they would still fly from California with their two children.
Mr Scobie wrote: “As is often the case, the reality is much less serious when you learn that Prince Harry had spoken to his grandmother long before last week’s announcements about the possibility of not going to Trooping the Color.”
He said the pair were ‘very excited’ to be part of the anniversary celebration, but that ‘both parties’ thought it would be more appropriate not to have the Sussexes on the balcony.