The popular Australian almond milk sold at Woolworths is recalled after a toxin is found causing a serious crippling illness
- Inside Out’s 1L of unsweetened almond milk may be contaminated
- Paralyzing botulinum toxin may be present in the product
A popular almond milk sold at supermarket giant Woolworths has been recalled after one batch was found to contain a paralyzing toxin.
Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) on Thursday morning recalled 1L packs of Inside Out’s unsweetened almond milk collagen + calcium + prebiotics after a possible botulinum toxin contamination.
FSANZ urges anyone who has purchased the product from Woolworths NSW to check for an expiration date of ’01 March 2023′.
Consumers shouldn’t do that [consume] this product,” reads the FSANZ warning.
“All consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice and return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund.”
A popular almond milk sold at Woolworths in NSW has been recalled after it may have been contaminated with a toxin that can cause muscle weakness and paralysis
Botulism is a rare but dangerous disease caused by neurotoxins produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria.
There are several types of botulism, including foodborne botulism that occurs when food contaminated with botulinum toxin is eaten.
More common sources of foodborne botulism are homemade foods that have not been properly canned, preserved, or fermented.
While less common, store-bought foods can be contaminated with the toxin.
Symptoms of botulism usually begin with a weakening of the muscles that control the eyes, face, throat, and arms.
Botulism also causes breathing difficulties and in extreme cases leads to death.
Anyone showing symptoms of botulism should go to a hospital or medical facility immediately.
Inside Out’s 1L unsweetened almond milk (pictured) was recalled Thursday after possible contamination with botulinum toxin, or botulism